The COVID-19 lockdown is stressful, there’s no denying it, and we’re all feeling the strain of self-isolation. But for independent and local businesses, the strain goes beyond boredom or frustration, as many can’t afford to operate with such reduced numbers. There’s still plenty you can do to support your favorite community spots, from purchasing gift cards for yoga studios to takeaway deli items from beloved restaurants.
Here are some of the small and independent businesses still operating during coronavirus and how you can support them:
Food & drink
As is the case for most eateries, it’s advisable to contact and book/reschedule any reservations instead of canceling. Some are offering gift cards as a way of keeping things running, while others are offering takeaway where they can. Check your favorite’s Instagram, Facebook page, and website for details, or the Wolt app for takeaway options. These are some who have found a safe way to keep the wheels turning:
– The Caribbean Housewife – you can get your favorite soups and dishes through their take-away service. Order your meal online & pick it up at Jojo Vesterbro.
– Mother x Andersen Maillard – two of Copenhagen’s leading “dough experts”, mother restaurant – known for their organic sourdough pizzas made with seawater, and Andersen & Maillard, known for their gourmet coffee and award winning pastries, have teamed up in an effort to create the best possible “box friendly” take away pizza! Available in their respective Kødbyen and Nordhavn locations.
– Pizzaria MaMeMi – Offering free home delivery of pizza and wine.
– Hooked – Available for takeaway and delivery through their webshop or Wolt.
– Il Buco – Now acting as a small deli and takeaway, your one-stop shop for fresh bread, dried pasta, olive oils, and everything else delicious. You’re also able to order a vegetable box from Birkemosgaard through them, so it’s 2 birds 1 bolle, so to speak.
– La Banchina – Takeaway available.
– Gola – Takeaway and Wolt delivery is now available.
– Barr – Offering gift cards and rescheduled reservations.
– Gasoline Grill – Still turning out delicious burgers for takeaway but only at their open-air location at Landgreven.
– Lola – Offering gift cards, details can be found on their Instagram.
– Gaarden og Gaden – Gift cards available through their webshop.
Cafés & bakeries
– Lille Bakery – Taking email and phone orders for collection, delivering to some parts of Copenhagen.
– Coffee Collective – Still offering coffee subscriptions and other goods through their webshop, so your beans can be delivered to your door. They’ve also commited to continue paying their team through the governmental scheme.
– American Pie Co. – Collection and delivery available within the Copenhagen area.
– Juno – Takeaway only and with restrictions placed on numbers of customers in the store at any given moment. Yes, that queue just got longer.
– Fovl – Takeaway is available.
– Sixteentwelve – Are aiming to have gift cards available soon!
Bars & bottle shops
– Pompette – Now acting solely as a bottle shop and offering home deliveries of natural wine.
– Vinsupernaturel – Now offering delivery through the services of By-Expressen, a bike courier service that’s good for the planet and good for social distancing.
– Rødder & Vin – The bar is closed but the bottle shop remains open, as they ship orders by bike and even pick up a few extra deliveries for you. Currently collecting from Gola and Omegn & Venner.
– Brøl – Offering free delivery on beer bundles. Choose from 7, 9, or 10 beers and order before 11 am to receive them that day.
– Puss Puss – Now selling bottled cocktails, gift cards, and hand sanitizer. Available for collection and delivery – the latter of which is an initiative to give recently redundant bartenders paid work.
– Broaden & Build – Now offering beers by bike.
– Den Sidste Dråbe – Both locations are open and still selling the finest spirits.
– Oliviers & Co – olive oil and Mediterranean delicacies on Gammel Kongevej open during normal business hours with a webshop and delivery service.
– Simplefeast – Still delivering delicious, healthy meals, direct to your door.
– Omegn & Venner – Open for takeaway and deliveries.
– Grim – Still delivering boxes of vegetables to your door and supporting small producers in the process.
Shopping & retail
– Reseller – Now acting as a webshop via its Instagram page. Collection and free delivery is available.
– Baubau shop – Online shop and gift certificates available.
– Schulzbycrowd – Offering free shipping on their sustainable clothing.
– Organic Basics – for all your sustainable basic clothing needs (Use the code SCANDINAVIA10 for 15% off)
– Böf – Timeless and high-quality children and baby clothes being shipped worldwide via their webshop.
– Brund – The denim den remains open, but with strict restrictions in place (4 person max in the shop)
– Goods – Doubling down on their webshop and offering assistance to any and all queries – no matter how aloof.
– Stilleben – Webshop is now open! Candles, ceramics, and pastel bedsheets ought to lift the spirits.
– Kartotek – Beautiful stationery is still available via their webshop. It seems as good a time as any to start journaling.
– &Drape – Offering FaceTime styling appointments and curtain swatches sent directly to your home.
– The General Store – Japanese ceramics and other curated goods still available via their webshop.
– Monday Studio – Independent arts and bookstore sending coffee table tomes direct to your door via their webshop.
– Eberts – Reserve vintage and retro pieces ready to collect when restrictions are lifted.
– The Brown Paper Movement – The time spent social distancing won’t feel so long if you’re marking off the days on one of these handmade calendars. Available via their webshop.
– Stalks & Roots – Flowers delivered to your home without person-to-person contact. They’ll be delivering to one area per day, orders can be made over Instagram and payments can be made via MobilePay.
– Aeipathy Studio – Offering digital flower arranging workshops and gift cards for future events.
Health & beauty
Most gyms and studios are urging customers not to cancel their subscriptions, this is especially important for smaller, community-ran studios. Take a look at your local and favorite spots to check if online classes or gift cards are available for future services.
– Dóttir Hot Yoga – Soon offering online classes and digital support so you can continue your practice at home.
Header image: Soup from The Caribbean Housewife © Nicolai Mørk, MAD&venner